Are fighting perfectionism?
Are you claiming that you are perfectly imperfect, but deep down inside you don't quite believe it? Yes, I'm talking to you. You may want to ask yourself how this identity serves you.
Being a perfectionist was an identity and a belief for me.
‘I am a perfectionist’ meant - "No room for mistakes." I had to correct myself every time I did something wrong.
I was the only judge.
I thought that striving for perfection in all that I do before I presented it to the world, would get me the recognition that I felt I lacked. I had to show that I was a good girl. That I was a smart girl.
When I knew I didn't make any mistakes, I approved of myself.
This identity had worked for me when I was young because it drove me to take action and risks on many things that I probably would have never tried if I didn’t have this belief. But now, this belief no longer serves me.
IT WAS EXHAUSTING! IT WAS NOT MY TRUTH.
I was actually fighting to be perfect.
I realized that my identity as a perfectionist was holding me back from evolving as an individual and moving forward with my projects. I was procrastinating, wasting time, avoiding and not actually getting what I wanted done done!
Being a perfectionist was an escape fail aka an excuse not to fail.
Perfectionism was an identity that allowed me to deny fear and doubt. The result - I was not showing up authentically for my life.
I AM READY TO BE STRIPPED OF THAT IDENTITY ONCE AND FOR ALL.
CARE TO JOIN ME?
5 STEPS TO LEAVE PERFECTION BEHIND AND EMBRACE BEING HUMAN.
- Recognize and acknowledge what it means to be a perfectionist. How does the thought ‘I am a perfectionist’ make you feel and how does it serve you?
- Recognize, acknowledge and be grateful that you are human. I believe there is a lot of power in asking yourself what it means to you the be human. How do you show up for your life based on your definition of being human?
- Be kind to you. Don’t beat yourself up. Show compassion and love to yourself for being human. When we have had a disempowering belief for so long, we don’t realize that it is far from the truth and that it can be changed. Celebrate your self-awareness, your accomplishments and your growth thus far. Go with the flow and allow your inner guidance to show you the way. What do you love about yourself?
- Choose and practice a new thought that serves you and empowers you to face fear and doubt with confidence consistently. Instead of ‘I am a perfectionist’, how about ‘I am human. Being human means that I can fall, get back up, learn, apply and be resilient to fear again and again’; or how about ‘I am worth it!” What can you think today to honour yourself?
- Practice self-care. This means YOU ARE NUMBER ONE! In order for us to show up in full presence for our life, we must show up for ourselves first. If we give from a place of lack (lack of healthy mind, body and soul) and we give our power and energy away to our external environment, we are left with feeling of emptiness and powerlessness. How can you make yourself a priority so that you have more to give to others? Make time for relaxation, reflection and appreciation all on YOU. Clean your mind, dump out the negative and let it evaporate as love and light.
The beauty in life is its gift of many opportunities to learn. It’s never too late to change. All that matters is that you have NOW to create the results you want for the rest of your life, however long that may be.
TIME IS NOW
If you're sick and tired of trying to be someone you're not, give your authentic self a chance to discover who you're meant to be.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Vanessa Leung is a Certified Mindset and Wellness Coach, Speaker, Blogger, Registered Holistic Nutritionist, Reiki energy practitioner and the founder of 80/20 Living & Co.
As a self-healer of over 30 years of doubt, guilt and fear, Vanessa is a living example of what the power of the mind can do. Through mind training and practicing self-compassion, she went from living a life feeling lonely, insignificant and depressed to a life of joy, freedom and abundance.
Vanessa teaches a simple and practical method to help ambitious and compassionate entrepreneurs to stop negative patterns and get sh*t done with ease. Her unique set of tools and techniques help her clients move beyond their fears and elevate their energy and confidence. That way, they can stop sacrificing their well-being and succeed in their business while living their best life.
Are you ready to live in abundance?